Monday, February 27, 2017

Week 2: Build

Alright, I made it to week 2! That means that it is actually time to build my hydroponic system. I built the system over the weekend and I've created a video showing how it was built. That, along with the directions that I posted last week should have anyone well on their way to building their own system.


This video goes through all of the steps that were taken to build the system, and the materials, as well as provides reasoning behind most of the steps. 

Minor Set-back:

Although I've finished my system, I haven't been able to start plants yet because I am still waiting for some silicon to dry. Although I didn't cover this step in the video, I used silicon to seal the area around the tubes for water movement to prevent them from leaking water into the area in between the two basins. Although it's been four days, the Silicon hasn't dried yet, which is unusual. I no longer expect it to, and will be buying some new silicon and redoing the seal (I know boring -  but important if I want the system to run properly)

In Other News: 
I have finally accumulated the rest of the materials that I need to get the plants going (as long as I can get that Silicon to work). The final materials that I needed was clay grow media, seeds, grow nutrients, pH buffer, and rock wool started plugs. I've also received a response from Joe Swartz, the vice president of American hydroponics. He has agreed to answer some of my questions about hydroponics (which have been sent) and when I get a response I will post the questions and their answers on the blog. 

Wish me luck!




No comments:

Post a Comment