Monday, February 13, 2017

Gardening for Molysmophobes (those who fear dirt)

For the next six weeks I endeavor to learn a skill, and not just any skill, but one which is not common knowledge, which is scorned by my sister for being unnatural, which allow me fresh produce all year round: Hydroponics. For those of you who don't know what hydroponics is, the dictionary definition is...
(noun) the process of growing plants in sand, gravel, or liquids with added nutrients but without soil.
In my case, this will be done inside. There are a couple reasons why I, and possibly you, would have the motivation to start a hydroponic garden.
1. You like gardening
2. you like building and designing interesting contraptions that have the illusion of being impressive 
3. You enjoy produce 
4. You love biology 
5. you hate dirt

Image result for anti dirt

My family has always been really big into gardening. On the side of my house there is a large vegetable garden, five fruit trees, a strawberry patch, and blueberries. Gardening is a good time, but when you're outside digging through dry dirt in the middle of summer, some of the glamour is stripped away, and, as soon as the first frost comes, so are your living plants. Urban hydroponics offers a way for pretty much anyone to grow their own fresh produce year round with minimal contact with the elements. Because who doesn't love strawberries? I don't know about you, but the allure of building a simple structure based off of internet how-tos the looks impressive, but really only took supplies that can be obtained from Walmart is always a plus, especially when trying to impress someone, say for a school project? Just a thought. Another motivation is my love of biology and learning about living systems, and hydroponics offers and interesting new perspective on biology, answering the question: what do plants actually need to grow? 

For this particular project I have put aside 1 week for research and design, 1 for actually building the hydroponic system, and they rest for growing and maintain the system with plants actually in it. The tools and resources which I have determined to be vital are space (for my basement), a drill, some plants, about $50, and parents who are willing to donate their basement to a (hopefully) permanent new project. Lucky for me, most of these things are readily available in my own house. 


Image result for hydroponic garden
(Disclaimer: I don't have this much space - I do have to live in my house)

I have what I think are simple goals for this project, to grow healthy, thriving plants (which will most likely be strawberries, and learn about the following: how to construct a working structure/system for hydroponics, what nutrients plants need to grow, the positive effects of urban hydroponics (as a little side research project, and how to care for plants. I will figure out how exactly to reach all these goals in my first week of the project which, as previously mentioned, has been put aside for research and design. And, as required by this project, I will also post about my goals as I finish them. I hope you enjoy reading about my journey to my own urban garden, and that, possibly, this will help you build and maintain your own as well. 







2 comments:

  1. Hi Kyla,
    You are off to a strong start on your project. This is a really cool topic that has potential to be great. I just have a few quick questions for you. Have you decided what type of hydroponic system to use? The deep-root system has the potential to be good on a small scale, but an ebb and flow model would allow you to grow lots more plants in just a little bit more room. Also, how would you define success for this project? Would just having plants take root be what you are looking for or do you want your plants to bear fruit?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! Fantastic job on the color scheme by the way, looking sharp as per usual! Besides the awesome design, I really like how you made what initially seemed like a complicated concept seem more simple, and the graphs were also very helpful to understand. I apologize, but as a non-scientist (history is much better), what are the advantages of this system over regular gardening? Fantastic job!

    ReplyDelete